Server is migrating to Redis pub/sub for server-wide chat

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Speentie8081, Feb 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speentie8081

Speentie8081 Administrator Staff Member

As we begin the long migration away from per world mini-games to per server mini-games, something needs to be done about chat. You see, if you have players on different servers, chat is normally not synced between the two. After much experimentation, I've decided that the best solution to this problem would be a pub/sub system that doesn't involve sql of any sort. First I tried using plugin messaging channels, but that didn't work out so well considering a player needed to be online at both ends for it to work as expected. I realize now that the most reliable and large-scale pub/sub system would be Redis, and I have begun migrating everything over to that. So far it's working very reliably and has no sign of messing up in the near future. It's even async so it doesn't interfere with gameplay, so that's a big plus in my eyes. What this means to all of you guys, is that you will be able to see what your friend is saying in one server as you are in another, making it a much more seamless network experience. I have also made playtime and ranks sync between all the different servers, to further solidify the reliability of this network under a proxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.